Monday, May 7, 2012

How to Make a Rainbow Cake

Step 1:
Mix cake batter and separate evenly into plastic cups.  Add desired food coloring to each cup and stir well.  (I wanted a lot of small sections of color, so I divided the batter into 24 cups, using 6 different colors. So 4 cups of each color.)
image
Step 2:
Pour contents of each cup into pan. For best results, pay close attention to the distribution and arrangement of color. Do not stir or swirl!  To level batter, drop pan forcefully and repetitively on countertop. (Steve came into the kitchen while I was doing this because he thought I was mad and throwing things around. :P)


image



Step 3:
Take a toothpick (I used a kebab stick, so that would work too) to draw lines across the batter.  This drags the colors into each other without mixing them. (For round cakes, I use a more radial pattern. In this cake, I did rows of waves horizontally and vertically.)
image

Step 6:
When cake is finished baking, take it out of the oven and wait for it to cool completely.  (Refrigeration speeds that up  and a cold cake is a lot less likely to fall apart when you take it out of the pan.)  Flip the pan over on top of a cake board, and carefully drop the cake out.  (The rainbow pattern will look darker than it actually is because the outside browned a bit while baking.)

image

Then just frost and decorate to your liking.  Here's what the inside looked like on another cake I did:

image

And that's it!  Have fun! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment